Satellite Job Opportunity at Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences
Satellite Data Analyst/Scientist (m/w/x)
The successful candidate will work in the REMSEM (Remote Sensing and Ecosystem Monitoring) team in the Operational Directorate Natural Environment (OD Nature) of RBINS on projects in the field of operational ocean colour satellite data services including the development of processing chains, cloud processing, data cube systems, product quality control and ocean colour algorithm development. The REMSEM team uses satellite data to measure parameters of environmental relevance such as the concentrations of chlorophyll a (phytoplankton) and suspended sediments in marine environments. A description of our remote sensing activities can be found at http://odnature.naturalsciences.be/remsem/.
The main tasks include:
SW1 level (Master level):
- Development of ocean colour satellite applications that enable data access, data visualisation and data processing.
- Development of new ocean colour algorithms and implementation of data cube systems (https://xcube.readthedocs.io/en/latest/) for efficient data analysis.
- Investigate potential of Machine Learning techniques in ocean colour applications.
- Work in a small productive team in cooperation with partners from other European countries.
- Writing technical documentation and/or scientific publications
- Presentation of results in English
SW2 level (PhD level):
- SW1 level tasks
- Work Package Management in ongoing European projects.
SW1: Master of Science, Master of Bioscience Engineering or equivalent.
SW2: PhD in Science, PhD in Bioscience Engineering or equivalent.
There is an open position for a Satellite Data Analyst/Scientist at RBINS. Find out more here: