USGS job opportunity – based in Santa Cruz, CA
The U.S. Geological Survey are looking for a Physical Scientist / Geographer (https://www.usajobs.gov/job/726707500) to join our team at the Pacific Coastal & Marine Science Center in Santa Cruz, California.
Specific duties will include:
- Use ArcGIS, MATLAB, Python, and Google Earth software for applications to ecosystems and climate change impact studies in coastal settings.
- Process and manipulate various complex geospatial datasets (e.g., remote sensing imagery, bathymetric data sets, sediment composition) to interpret geologic and oceanographic processes and delineate benthic habitats.
- Use ArcGIS and related software for applications for estuarine, coastal, and marine topographic, bathymetric, and sediment transport studies.
- Manage and co-author reports and maps to inform the scientific community of results of research.
- Work directly with editing and publishing groups to see products through the complete publication process.
- Support dissemination of public information including writing press releases, informational documents, newsletter articles, and web pages.
The work will initially support our science on tropical coastal hazards and ecosystems across the globe, from the Mariana Islands in the western Pacific Ocean to the Virgin Islands in Caribbean. See these links for more information on the science questions and goals:
Coral Reef Project: https://www.usgs.gov/centers/pcmsc/science/coral-reef-project
Coastal Climate Impacts Project: https://www.usgs.gov/centers/pcmsc/science/coastal-climate-impacts
Physical demands: Field assignments involve outdoor work where there is considerable walking and climbing over rough terrain. The work required physical exertion such as lifting heavy objects over 50 pounds and working on vessels at sea. The applicant must be AAUS-quality scientific scuba diver certified.
Salary: $70,674 – $111,157 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS-9 to GS-11, depending on qualifications
Duration: This is a 13-month position, renewable up to 4 years.
Remote Job: No
Telework eligible: Yes — as determined by the agency policy.
Travel Required: Occasional travel — You will be expected to travel for this position.
Vacancy Announcement: USGS-SAC-23-11921495-DE-YN (will close Friday 30 June 2023)
The full job announcement and how to apply can be found here: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/726707500
Please feel free to share with colleagues. Thank you!